- 1 small onion (4 ounces), cut in 1-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) plum tomatoes, with juices
- 2 sprigs fresh basil (10-12 large leaves)
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine or vermouth
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ to ¾ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, (optional, to taste, for a spicier sauce)
- Using a metal blade, chop onion, garlic, and oregano in Cuisinart Food Processor (pulse about 10 times).
- Heat oil in a 2 3/4 quart saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion, garlic, and oregano in saucepan for 2-3 minutes (the onion should be soft and the oregano fragrant).
- Next add to saucepan the canned tomatoes along with their juices, basil sprigs, wine, and salt and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and cover. Let sauce simmer for 50-60 minutes.
- Let sauce cool in pan for 10 minutes and then stir in red and black pepper (optional).
- For a smooth sauce: pulse mixture only 15 times. For a chunky sauce: process sauce for 2 minutes until uniform. The sauce is ready now for pasta. If needed for pizza topping, let simmer uncovered for another 40-50 minutes and apply to dough.
While you're stuck at home, make the most of your time by learning a new language, skill, or even train for a remote-work job with our new premium online courses.
Check them out >