That Thanksgiving turkey isn't anything without the right kind of gravy to accompany it. A great turkey gravy makes your feast better for everyone. It's especially great to have if your turkey is dry— it's a lifesaver. But like we said— you need the right kind of gravy!
Chef Jody Adams shares her mother's recipe for making savory brown gravy. The flavorful pan drippings from roasted turkey are heated with an aromatic array of vegetables, wine, spices, stock and herbs including Jody's favorite fennel. Serve in a festive gravy boat or just ladle right on top of an entrée, sandwich or pot pie.
* 1/4 cup pan drippings from roasted chicken, turkey or meats (for vegetarian gravy, substitute butter for pan drippings)
* mirepoix: aromatic vegetable mix of chopped carrots, celery & onions (Jody also uses fennel)
* 1/4 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
* 2 fresh or dried bay leaves
* 1 tsp fennel seeds
* 2/3 cup Marsala wine (Madeira, dry sherry, or omit wine)
* 3 cups turkey or chicken stock (for vegetarian gravy, substitute vegetable stock)
* pinch of kosher salt
* pinch of ground black pepper
* fresh herbs - thyme, sage and/or rosemary
* slotted spoon or whisk
* fine mesh strainer
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades