If you like Indian cuisine, then you have to love chutney! But you don't have to go out to eat in order to enjoy chutney, you can make your own right at home. And in this video, you'll get the recipe for a delicious rhubarb chutney, great for anything, but perfect for desserts.
Isadora "Izzy" Sarto, Executive Chef at Boston's Tremont 647, creates the versatile chutney using fresh rhubarb, sugar, vinegar, and spices. Although botanically classified as a vegetable, rhubarb is often used in sweet preparations. Izzy's sweet-tart chutney is great to top ice cream or desserts, but is an excellent addition to fish, meats and savory appetizers as well.
* 1 lb rhubarb, washed & peeled (reserve peels for stock)
* ½ cup red wine vinegar
* 1 cup sugar
* 3 cups water
* 2 star anise
* 2 cloves
* 1 tsp black peppercorns
* ½ cinnamon stick
1. Gently wash rhubarb and peel off outer strings. Save the peelings. Cut rhubarb on the bias into ¼" pieces and set aside
2. In a small sauce pot, create poaching liquid and combine the rhubarb peelings with the sugar, water, vinegar and spices
3. In a small sauté pan, toast the cloves, anise, peppercorns and cinnamon stick over low heat until you can smell the spices, about 1-2 minutes. Add to poaching liquid
4. Simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes and strain, reserving the liquid
5. Divide the cooking liquid into 2 small saucepans. Add half of the cut rhubarb to half of the liquid and cook over medium heat until slightly mushy and liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes
6. At about the 13-minute mark of the simmering rhubarb, place a second saucepan with the remaining liquid, and remaining rhubarb. Cook over medium heat just until tender, 6-7 minutes for an 'al dente' texture. Allow softened rhubarb to continue to cook for 6-7 minutes
7. Strain the al dente rhubarb pieces, reserving the liquid. Combine with the softened rhubarb to provide texture. Set aside and cool before use
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.