Stop buying your mustard at the store and learn how to make your own homemade mustard, red onion mustard to be specific. This red onion mustard is a really nice accompaniment with grilled meats and smoked seafood and meats. Watch the video recipe now. This is super easy.
Todd Sweet of Portsmouth Brewery uses just 5 simple ingredients to make a sweet and tangy textured mustard sauce. Red onion, brown sugar, olive oil and fresh thyme are all it takes to turn whole grain mustard into a versatile sauce that's great on sandwiches and pairs perfectly with Todd's Coffee-Rubbed Beef Tenderloin Skewers.
Red Onion Mustard
* 1 medium red onion, small dice
* 2 tbsp olive oil
* 2 sprigs fresh thyme, divided
* 2 tbsp brown sugar
* 1 cup whole grain mustard
1. Sweat the onion in the olive oil with 1 thyme sprig over medium-high heat until it is soft and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes
2. Remove the thyme and stir in brown sugar. Allow this mixture to cool 5-10 minutes
3. Stir in mustard. You will have more than you need (save the leftovers for a fabulous sandwich). Will keep in refrigerator up to 2 weeks