Try this delicious recipe for tomato chutney, Indian style. Watch this how-to video and learn how simple it is to make. It goes great with just about any Indian recipe you make.
Ingredients for the tomato chutney:
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Channa Dal - 1 tsp
Urad Dal - 1 tsp
Curry Leaves - 1 sprig
Whole Red Chilies - 1-2 (optional)
Ginger - 1 tsp, grated
Onions - 1 small, chopped
Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida (Hing) - 1 pinch
Tomatoes - 5 large, diced
Salt - to taste
Sugar - 1/2 tsp
Green Chili - 1 (optional), finely chopped
Fresh Cilantro - 5 sprigs, finely chopped
1. Heat oil in a wok on medium to high heat.
2. Once oil is hot, add the mustard seeds and let them pop.
3. Add the following in this order - Channa Dal, Urad Dal, whole red chilies and curry leaves.
4. Once the Dals are golden brown, add turmeric, asofoetida, ginger, onions and green chilies and salt. Mix well.
5. Let the onions cook till they turn translucent.
6. Add diced Tomatoes and more salt. Mix well and allow it to cook covered, stirring occasionally.
7. Once the tomatoes appear cooked, uncover the wok and continue cooking till the juices of the tomatoes have been absorbed.
8. Add sugar and mix again.
9. Cook for another few minutes, garnish with fresh cilantro and serve.
10. Serves 4
1. You can use cans of diced tomatoes in place of fresh tomatoes. For this recipe, use 3 14.5oz cans to substitute for the 5 large tomatoes.
2. This dish can be served with Chapatis, Paranthas or Dosas. It is also excellent as a filling in sandwiches or on toast for breakfast.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.